Level Up. in partnership with The Multiplayer Group, is seeking a Lead UI Artist to join their growing development studio.
The Multiplayer Group (MPG) are 300 Developers and Data Scientists, helping their clients and partners build 20+ AAA projects at any one time. They're probably the most experienced multiplayer development group in the world. They are set up to help the games industry make games more easily, to deliver the highest quality, and become long-term partners.
MPG specialise in creating the highest standard of mind-blowing multiplayer experiences for their partners. They're currently involved in the biggest shooters, the highest-profile MMORPGs and the trickiest full physics-based multiplayer action ever produced across all platforms, and many of them are record-setting games!
We are actively recruiting a Lead UI Artist to help MPG deliver the best possible game Game User Interfaces, Motion Design, OSD and HUDs to their clients. You will work alongside the art/animation leads, closely with the game designers, UX design, global art team and production teams to deliver world-class work and continue to drive for improvement in service and quality.
A confident, enthusiastic leader, you'll be an advocate for the UI team both internally and to clients. With a passion for helping teams work at their best, you will drive working practices, set high standards, mentor your team and support the craft Leads and wider art team - helping to establish processes, approvals and internal, outsource and client-facing communication.
A skilled artist/graphic designer, you also have a good understanding of Core Game and Meta Game design and the technical challenges of development for UI.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to have a high-level view of project ambitions and play a pivotal role in their development.
What you'll be doing:
- From concept to integration, polish and testing, you’ll set high standards and lead the development of all aspects of UI visuals
- Be hands-on with production - leading by example, setting benchmarks and style guides
- Communicate with stakeholders, extract requirements and advise on solutions
- Work with the team and stakeholders to estimate and prioritise work
- Work with the team to iterate on solutions that fit the requirements
- Identify and log tasks, track and report on progress
- Assist development with resource planning and recruitment
- Set and maintain high-quality standards and processes: workflows, tests, documentation, approvals
- Help and mentor team members in day-to-day work and professional development
- Draft reports for internal and client needs
- You’ll keep one eye on the future - research, evaluate and propose practices that keep us on the cutting edge or ahead of the competition
What we'll need from you:
- You have extensive experience working with game teams and specifically Art & Creative Directors, UI Artists, Motion Graphic Artists, UX Designers, VFX Artists, Illustrators and Game Designers in developing GUI and Game Title Presentation.
- You’re stylistically diverse and know what it takes to be world-class in a range of game and platform genre
- Deep understanding of the roles and workflows of a UI art team, how an art team and the wider development team operate, integrate and support those workflows
- Solid problem solving: a knowledge of workflows, dependencies, and typical challenges
- You’re a fantastic Graphic Designer with a good knowledge of art theory
- Expert knowledge of User Interface theory and practice - terminology and best practices
- Expert knowledge of typical UI and graphic design tools and general knowledge of typical art tools and game engines
- Ability to create and present high-level documentation, style guides, ideation, etc
- Ability to advise team members on UI production matters - solid experience with production tools like Jira
- Ability to do day-to-day line management of the UI team
- Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders and prioritise work
- Experience building teams and team culture
- Experience working with Art Outsource companies
- Attention to detail with a strong ability to analyse and comprehend Visual Direction
- A good communicator with the ability to verbalise conceptual thoughts and the willingness to accept constructive critique
What would help:
- Previous experience in a similar role is highly desirable
- Experience working on several projects concurrently
- Experience in direct communication with clients
- Experience line-managing and developing artists
- UI concept art and look development experience
- Assistance in providing UI support for Key art/ Cinematics experience